Monday, March 3, 2014

Shane and I go to see the Matches


Midterms are coming up and my classmates were talking about pounding energy drinks to stay awake while typing up large papers. I told them that I try to steer clear of such things because I had a bad experience.

In my senior year of college my roommate Shane and I left our small college town and set out on a road trip to see The Matches play in Boise, Idaho. On our way out of town we stopped by the grocery store to grab some snacks. We also bought a whole bunch of energy drinks on clearance. This is where it all went wrong, of course. Name brand energy drinks are sketchy at best, so a generic energy drink on clearance was clearly a bad idea. But we were in a hurry, and money was always tight in college.

We drove the four and a half hours to Boise without incident. The show was awesome and it was pretty late when we left the venue. We stopped by a food truck and got some tacos and then jumped in the car. Our room temperature energy drinks were waiting for us and we pounded them down on the way out of town.

About 30 minutes later, my face started to tingle and then go numb. I couldn't feel my cheeks, nose or forehead, and my lips were starting to go numb as well. I cautiously looked over at my friend and saw that his eyes were very wide.

Me: "Is you face going numb?"

Shane: "Yes! What's going on?"

Me: "Are we having strokes?"

Shane: "Both of us at the same time? In our early 20s? I wouldn't think so."

Me: "Did we get food poisoning from those tacos?"

Shane: "Don't be racist. I think it might've been the energy drinks."

We drove on, debating what we should do. Pull over and ask for help? It was 4 a.m. in rural Idaho, and those folks love their guns, so even if we did get someone to come to the door without blowing us away, what would we ask them? "Can we come in and lie down and sleep off some bad energy drinks?" Maybe there was a doctor's office or hospital we could stop at? Oh yeah, rural Idaho. By this time, our lips had gone fully numb, so we couldn't talk anymore so we just drove the rest of the way in terrified silence thinking every mile would be our last.

We eventually got back to our apartment and slept it off with no lasting effects, but the whole experience was scary, man.

And that is why I haven't touched an energy drink since.

6 comments:

  1. That is bizarre. I've never heard of such a thing. I've never had one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good. That probably makes you statistically more likely to live longer.

      Delete
  2. Energy drinks have been liked to death and ER really.

    personally am old enough to remember NODOZE probably still around I think 4 is a lethal caffeine dose. Which I list. vibrated for two states and most of the next day.

    Symptoms of overdose •Abdominal or stomach pain
    •agitation, anxiety, excitement, or restlessness
    •confusion or delirium
    •convulsions (seizures)—in acute overdose
    •dehydration
    •faster breathing rate
    •fast or irregular heartbeat
    •fever
    •frequent urination
    •headache
    •increased sensitivity to touch or pain
    •irritability
    •muscle trembling or twitching
    •nausea and vomiting, sometimes with blood
    •overextending the body with head and heels bent backward and body bowed forward
    •painful, swollen abdomen or vomiting (in newborn babies)
    •ringing or other sounds in ears
    •seeing flashes of "zig-zag" lights
    •whole-body tremors (in newborn babies)

    Okay so I just ended up using Caffeinated drinks is huge 2 liter IV's instead. Safer and having to pee every few miles keeps you up. NEVER at room temperature. Cold temps out side and flash the car coming up while you trying to go kinda gets you going too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, yeah the pee solution sounds like a pretty good setup.

      Delete
  3. I would have been a good way to go, though, veering off the road into a canyon from generic energy drink paralysis after watching The Matches kill it. Ah, the days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that would make a heck of an obituary.

      Delete

Commenting on blogs is good for your health! Or so I have read.